Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Holy, Merciful, Savior


Exodus 15:2

Exodus 15:2, “The might and vengeance of G-d was salvation for me. This is my G-d and I will build Him a Sanctuary; the G-d of my father and I will exalt Him.”

Exodus 15:11

Exodus 15:11, “Who is like You among the heavenly powers, HASHEM! Who is like You, mighty in holiness, too awesome for praise, Doer of wonders!”

Exodus 33:19

Exodus 33:19, “He said, ‘I shall make all My goodness pass before you, and I shall call out with the Name HASHEM before you; I shall show favor when I choose to show favor, and I shall show mercy when I choose to show mercy.’”

These verses describe HASHEM as the source of salvation, as holy, and as merciful.  They are detailing HASHEM's attributes. Many Christians, in an attempt to support their religious claims, begin their defense with a theology and doctrine in place and then retroactively employ verses, such as these, as proof of their belief. None of these passages hint at Christian doctrine or speak of a man being a god.

In fact, the verse above about G-d's mercy counters Christian doctrine. It declares the simplicity of HASHEM's mercy. It has been asserted by many Christians that G-d requires payment before administering forgiveness, but according to G-d Himself, He is able to forgive or show mercy at His discretion. By developing a middle man in their relationship with G-d, Christianity complicates things. HASHEM desires obedience, but allows for forgiveness. HASHEM is the only source of salvation. He needs no mediator.

“HASHEM is close to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him sincerely. (Psalm 145:18)”

“Do not rely on nobles, nor on a human being, for he holds no salvation. (Psalm 146:3)”

No comments:

Post a Comment