Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Know HASHEM

In the books of Deuteronomy, Jeremiah and Ezekiel HASHEM presents a new covenant that He will make with His people. It will reaffirm the commandments in the Torah and establish a closer relationship with HASHEM. The new covenant will bring about universal knowledge of G-d, with no need to teach others to know HASHEM. Through the new covenant HASHEM’s laws will be observed and performed. It upholds and maintains the Torah.

Christian’s believe their religion to be the new covenant. Many assert their religion supplants the covenant made previously between the Jewish people and HASHEM. Christian scriptures teach that the commandments will fade away and disappear, contradicting the new covenant as it is detailed in the Hebrew Bible. Also, Christianity puts forth a massive missionary effort. Christians spend a large amount of money and time teaching people and saying, “know G-d.” Jeremiah declares that this will not be necessary after the new covenant has been made.

“Behold, days are coming – the word of HASHEM – when I will seal a new covenant with the House of Israel and with the House of Judah: not like the covenant that I sealed with their forefathers on the day that I took hold of their hand to take them out of the land of Egypt, for they abrogated My covenant, although I became their Master – the word of HASHEM. For this is the covenant that I shall seal with the House of Israel after those days – the word of HASHEM – I will place My Torah [Law] within them and I will write it onto their heart; I will be a G-d for them and they will be a people for Me. They will no longer teach – each man his fellow, each man his brother – saying, ‘Know HASHEM!’ For all of them will know Me, from their smallest to their greatest – the word of HASHEM – when I will forgive their iniquity and will no longer recall their sin. (Jeremiah 31:30-34)

“HASHEM, your G-d, will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, to love HASHEM, your G-d, with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live…You shall return and listen to the voice of HASHEM, and perform all His commandments that I command you today. HASHEM will make you abundant in all your handiwork – in the fruit of your womb, the fruit of your animals, and the fruit of your Land – for good, when HASHEM will return to rejoice over you for good, as He rejoiced over your forefathers, when you listen to the voice of HASHEM, your G-d, to observe His commandments and His decrees, that are written in this Book of the Torah [Law], when you shall return to HASHEM, your G-d, with all your heart and all your soul. (Deuteronomy 30:6-10)”

“I will give them an undivided heart and I will place a new spirit in them; I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, so that they may walk in My decrees and observe My laws and fulfill them. Then they will be a people unto Me, and I will be a G-d for them. (Ezekiel 11:19-20)

Contrary to the Christian views of the new covenant, G-d does not desire to abrogate the previous one made at Sinai. Quite the opposite, He will uphold and reinforce the Laws given by G-d. Rather than replacing the “old covenant” and telling people the "old covenant" is “obsolete and aging [and] will soon disappear (Heb 8:13),” the new covenant is for people “to observe His commandments and His decrees, that are written in this Book of the Torah [Law]. (Deut. 30:10)” and G-d will also do this “so that they may walk in My decrees and observe My laws and fulfill them. (Ezekiel 11:19)”

1 comment: